Friday, June 7, 2013

PHONICS FRIDAY--A VOWEL SORT

Today was a fun but very busy day:)  My husband and I took our little guy to the zoo.  He had a ball but we were all exhausted by the end of the trip.  I am still not great at scheduling my posts in advance therefore my PHONICS FRIDAY is late tonight.  One of my many goals for this summer is to become more organized and getting my posts done in advance.  I am so bad about doing stuff last minute.

Distinguishing between long and short vowel sounds is HUGE for kiddos learning to read.  In our district, we utilize Fundations to teach students basic phonics concepts.  It begins with introducing short vowel sounds and then introducing long sounds starting with the silent "e".  I sometimes take for granted that students can hear the vowel say its "name" and they don't need to practice sorting the long and short vowel sounds.  Practice with this skill is important.  It reinforces that students understand the difference between the two sounds or tells you clearly that they need more opportunities to practice. 

I created a little freebie to practice sorting the short and long sounds for the letter A.  I did a picture sort and a word sort.  I would love to know which you prefer to use to practice this skill and why!



Click on the pictures above to grab your freebie.  I hope you enjoyed this PHONICS FRIDAY!  Any ideas on what you would like to see next week please feel free to let me know!!!  I am open to ideas, thoughts, and suggestions.  Until next week!

4 comments:

  1. The zoo?! I'm sure it was a fun time! As for the sorts, I tend to prefer the pictures because they have to really be able to hear the sounds. With words, they can simply look at the word and think "Hmm--silent E, I know that's long A" without even reading the word and hearing the sound. Just my two cents!

    Lisa
    Always an Adventure in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sort!! I find it so hard to find CUTE sorts or just worksheets in general for my kiddos to use and be engaged in, and this is perfect!! Thank you!

    Katie
    Erb Rhymes with Verb
    http://erbrhymeswithverb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comment:) I love getting feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do you resist those strong temptations to
    eat wrong foods and hurt your health and your light
    level. In contrast to high priced drugs and medical care, the
    improvement dietetic therapy is free of charge.

    The more pronounced this process gets, the more serious the digestive issues
    grow into.

    Also visit my weblog :: Gluten Free Society this one []

    ReplyDelete