Friday, May 24, 2013

It's PHONICS FRIDAY!

Hello!  One of my goals for this summer is to begin to really share some of my phonics knowledge that I have bouncing around in my head.  I decided to start Phonics Friday to push myself to share ideas and goodies on a weekly basis.

This week I am going to focus on a kindergarten and beginning first grade topic of the short O word family.  I shared a previous post about the short a word family if you are interested in reading more about short vowel word families.


I usually introduce the phonics skill I am teaching by showing the students a picture/word and having them identify what the lesson is going to target that day.


I then review what word families have in common.  Word families LOOK the same and SOUND the same. 

I usually try to add a little song or video to all my lessons.  This video is a great short O word family video from Hooked on Phonics.  After the song students can identify the word families that were listed within the song.
 
Since families "usually" live in a house, I have students brainstorm short O word families by writing them within a house.  Depending on the target for the  lesson students can also locate blends and digraphs within the word family words.  One solid line for digraphs because they make on sound and two separate lines for a blend because each letter makes its own sound.




I usually end my mini lessons with several activities to review the concept I am targeting.  In this lesson, one slide has a frog that students click on and take turns reading the words that pop out.
 

This is one of my favorite activities in Smart Notebook.  The students click on the picture and then write the word that corresponds with the picture.  The pictures follow the word pattern of the lesson.


 Another activity is a simple picture and word match.

 


This is a student favorite!  They love hangman.  This game targets only words with the OT family words.

Click HERE to get your FREE copy of this lesson.  It is done in Smart Notebook:)

I hope you enjoyed this PHONICS FRIDAY!  I would love to hear about how you teach short vowel word families!  I always love getting new ideas to help my kiddos learn their phonics skills.  Also if you have an idea of what you would like to see a post about for next week's PHONICS FRIDAY let me know!







2 comments:

  1. Did I tell you that we had to watch the "big pig" video one last time last week?! It was requested! They LOVE these lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Thank you so much:) I love when I find an amazing smartboard activity like this, will be using it with my Firsties when school starts again.

    ReplyDelete