Saturday, June 21, 2014

Phonics Friday is Back!! (Five for Friday Phonics edition)

Okay friends.  Are you ready for it?? 
  Phonics Friday is baaaack! (on Saturday)


I am a Pinterest addict and I have pinned so many great phonics freebies.  For my 1st Phonics Friday of the summer, I thought I would share a few of my favorite phonics pin freebies. 



I love using visuals to teach so these charts are perfect to use with my primary students because they provide visual cues for each sound.  This freebie is from the lovely Haley O'Connor of My Silly Firsties.  Click the link below to snag it for yourself.


My Silly Firsties

Alphabet, Blends, Digraphs, and Tricky Vowels 




The suffix ED is a tricky one to teach because it has not one sound but three!!  I love these posters from Lori Rosenberg of Teaching with Love and Laughter.  This freebie has a poster for each -ed sound with three examples with accompanying picture cues.

Photobucket 
 


I love when teachers connect concepts to things that the students can relate to and enjoy.  Jennifer Knopf  from Herding Kats in Kindergarten created this adorable activity to reinforce digraphs.  The Fox Says Digraphs is a write the room activity that uses picture clues to accompany words such as thread that contain a digraph. Kids love this not only because it is fun but also because it connects to the song What does the Fox Say?



The Fox Says Digraphs



Changing and deleting sounds is a skill that can be difficult for kids to grasp.  I love the way that Jodi Southard from Fun in First Grade introduced this concept to her firsties.  She used the idea of stairs and on each step a sound was changed to form a new word.


Photobucket

Jodi created a template so you could easily do this activity with your kiddos!  This freebie includes a page that includes short vowel word families and also a blank template that allows teachers to add their own words!  Yay!

Word Stairs




For number 5-- I thought I would include a pin that was geared a little bit more toward intermediate kiddos.   Prefixes and Suffixes are difficult concepts for so kiddos to master.  Amy Lemmons from Step into Second Grade created this great freebie that allows students in interact with prefixes and suffixes in a variety of ways such as sorting and a flap book.








Look for Phonics Friday next week!  If all goes well it should arrive on Friday not Saturday.  I am also linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday to share my five random phonics finds.  Feel free to link up and share five random things about your week.

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/06/five-for-friday-linky-party-june-20th.html


Until next time,

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Lots of goodies here! Thanks for the shout-out and links to these great activities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great activities from some of my favorite bloggers:) I don't know how I missed the word stairs. Thanks:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve this! Thanks! Wendy 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for links to some great freebies! I added all of them to my wish list to download later!!

    ReplyDelete