Tuesday, January 29, 2013

PENGUINS Anyone??

One of the bonuses of it being winter is that it is the perfect time to study penguins!!  I was lucky enough to stumble upon this great FREE penguin clip art created by Kathy Law from the First Grade Parade.  Since I work with many students who are beginning readers I wanted an easy reader that actually gave the kids some information about the tuxedo wearing birds:)  I couldn't find one that I liked so I decided I needed to create one!
 





I decided that I needed to frontload my students with the concepts in the book so I created vocabulary cards with pictures.  I am hoping that this makes the reading of the actual text a little smoother.


Since it is always important to get the my students writing I created  Penguins can, Penguins have and Penguins are sheets.

I am very excited to use my new creation with my kiddos tomorrow!  I have been so bogged down with testing I feel like I have not taught in a month!  I will be so happy to be back in a normal routine.
I will send a copy of my Penguin book to the first three people to leave a comment! 

3 comments:

  1. Mrs. Lutton,
    You've outdone yourself! What a great Penguin Unit! I would be honored for a copy of your project. I am starting Penguins and Hot Chocolate this Friday! Yay! So happy to be following such a talented teacher!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe
    betto411@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love penguins!
    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so adorable!!!
    I would love to have a copy of your Penguin Unit.
    Thanks
    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete